Thursday, October 18, 2012

Just a Direction and Destination

You know what feels just as satisfying as writing? Outlining.

I'm a little proud of myself right now. I spent hours, HOURS, I say, hunched over my notebook with a pen and highlighter outlining character, plot and book arcs (I love highlighting things--you should see how I annotate. It's a problem). For months I've been hesitant about where my novel(s) were heading to. Yes, I had certain aspects laid out (character development/conflict) but other things (plot, cough, cough) were a bit foggy. And to tell you the truth, I hate writing not knowing exactly where I'm going. How nice would it be if people could actually jump in the car and drive without a second thought? Too bad people  don't do that (well, I'm sure some people have done it, then realized that they haven't a clue were they are and what they're doing and how much gas money they've wasted). You have to at least have some idea, direction where you're going. Eventually things become more definite along the drive and eventually, you know exactly where you're going and what you want to see.

Is that real? I hope not. I really hope not.
Now, of course there are those moments when you can't resist that huge "BIGGEST EAR OF CORN IN NORTH AMERICA" billboard and you and your friend share a single look and without a word spoken, you're turning off the next off ramp and on to some dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Now, that hadn't been planned, but there's nothing wrong with a little improving--as long as your destination remains the same. Where's the fun when everything is head forward, shoulders back, spine straight all the time? (That's a rhetorical question)

When I write my outlines--for books, class, chapters, characters, plots, you name it--I try to keep it as simple as possible, but include the importance of said point. If there's going to be an action (road trip!), it has to have a A) motivation (schools out!) and B) result (got in a car accident :[ ). Outlining also helps find flaws. For example: I wrote "Jane follows them down the 'rabbit hole'" for the action. I had the result (ends up on the other side) but the motivation "because she wants to?" is weak. It's true, she does want to--but it's not specific. It holds no power, no force. "Because she had no choice" or "Because her friend was kidnapped" are better choices, but there is still room for improvement.

This is where I acknowledge the flaw. Instead of banging my head against the wall, falling to the floor with frustration, I merely move on. Outlines are subjective. Your draft is subjective. They can change at will, unlike roads. There is always room for improvement, always room for change and best part of all, you decide what needs to change or improve. Outlines are meant to help you, not restrict you.

Now that I have more confidence in my overall arc plot, I want to write and finish my first book now. I'm excited and ready to go.

Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting Down to Business

It's January 26 (I say this AFTER I've checked the date numerous times) and it's been over an entire month since I've last u...