Monday, October 15, 2012

Do Your Research; Know Your Stuff

If there is one thing in the entire world that everyone can agree on it is that there's nothing like spending the entire day in your pajamas. Plenty of us almost feel shame for doing it, but then we shove a hand in the popcorn bowl and forget the thought all together (mmm kettle corn).

Today was a rare pajama day. I didn't work out. I didn't go to Barnes and Noble and study with my skinny iced caramel macchiato. I didn't go out and run any errands or meet up with friends (lol what friends?). I spent a majority of the day sitting in front of my laptop. Physically I feel like pudding. Gross pudding. Nasty.

(I really hate feeling lazy I say as I type this while being lazy)

But sometimes, lazy pajama days are needed. Writing is only one half of the book process. The second, you guessed it folks, is publishing. And where can we learn about the mysterious, ominous ways of publishing? Where you get everything else from: the Internet. When I'm not writing (and not going to school, eating, working out, reading for school, reading for pleasure, studying, eating, sleeping, watching my dog do stupid things, eating, messing around with my sister at Target and other department stores -- beware of us -- eating, online window shopping, writing reviews, managing tumblr and blogger) I'm doing my research (and overcoming my fears) on the ways of publishing.

Thankfully, their are plenty of bloggers who willing to share their experiences and advice. For a first time author looking for helpful tid bits, I really appreciate it (so thank you very much). It also puts more perspective of what I'll be getting into when I do get to that stage. And most important of all when I should be at that stage. The one thing editors, publishes and agents alike press is to wait before sending in that query. Be patient. Take you time revising. Don't be eager. Rushing will only hinder you. Of course their are plenty of other advice revolving around writing and what agents look for in a query, the Do's and Don'ts of writing, and other constructive things.

As a first time author, it's important to do your research. If you plan on being published (as I am) then it's best to see what publishes, agents and editors alike are looking for in "upcoming" authors. They don't only want a well written book, they want a well rounded author also. Know your genre. Know what authors you love and why you love them. Book also. Today I spent hours researching YA genre articles. Go ahead, ask me what is going on with the YA genre. I bet I could direct you to some interesting things.

I also spent a hell of a lot of time bouncing around goodreads looking at debut author YA novels for 2013. From there I lurked new author's blogs, checked out what they've been doing, if they have some interesting advice or stories. I want to be these people (don't get the wrong idea, alright?). One day, I will be in their shoes and I want to be ready and prepared. And when I finally enter the publishing process, I want to be fully geared and ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting Down to Business

It's January 26 (I say this AFTER I've checked the date numerous times) and it's been over an entire month since I've last u...