Saturday, January 26, 2013

Getting Down to Business

It's January 26 (I say this AFTER I've checked the date numerous times) and it's been over an entire month since I've last updated "A Writer's Knot." Call me unfaithful, call me a crook, just don't call me unproductive and Shirley (a little Airplane! allusion for you there). I can't give you an exact word count for this winter break, but I can truthfully say that I've written over 20,000 words since my last update and most importantly, I hit my 50k mark! I'm just over half way done with my first draft. Some one throw some confetti and bring me a cupcake cake. Red velvet preferably.

But is that a light I see at the end of the tunnel?

Possibly. Probably not, since I have a whole other epic, "One does not simply walks into Mordor" size journey of revisions to sludge through before even thinking of querying (I lied. I have thought and worked plenty enough on querying in between crippling self doubt and "I am the next Charles Dickens" syndrome). And let's not get started on the whole agent thing because, honestly, I don't want to be wriggling my hands over people's opinions on my brain child. Not yet, anyway.

If I didn't have to work a paying job, I decided I'd turn my writing into my "job." I wrote everyday. Sometimes thousands of words, others just over a hundred. What mattered was I wrote and treated it as my work. I acted as a writer should. Instead of treating it as a hobby, I treated it as a career choice. A very tasty and sometimes frustrating career choice.

But all good things must come to an end. No, I'm not talking about my writing. I'm talking about my days frolicking through the many bookshelves of Barnes and Noble and hours spent sipping coffee and huddled in a corner banging on a keyboard. I'm talking about school.

The shackles are back in place. I already feel the pressure (already I despise the Puritan's literature. Hiisssss). But again, like last semester, I hold the goal of writing what I can everyday. Even if it's simply outlining or revision. And I promise to continue to update this more frequently! Exclamation point!!

So, next time you'll hear from me, I'll either be up to here in PDF files or coffee. Maybe both.

P.S. Here's a picture of my cute kitten who is named Me-Mow because no one liked Nova. And my sister wouldn't stop called her the cat assassin's name from Adventure Time. And Indie. I would never forget my quirky beagle pup Indie (named after Indiana Jones obviously).

Okay, laters.

BUT LOOK AT THEM THEY'RE SO ADORABLE. I JUST WANT TO DIIIEEE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting Down to Business

It's January 26 (I say this AFTER I've checked the date numerous times) and it's been over an entire month since I've last u...